First of all, you always want to maximize your Strength. The only way of doing this is by increasing your Item Level. Secondary stats can be tuned by gear, gems, enchantments and consumables.
The general stat prio looks like this:
Versatility > Crit >= Mastery > Haste
Depending on your gear you can have different stat weights. The best advice you can have from me is to always sim yourself!
The best way to calculate stat priorities for your character is to "sim" your characterFind out how to sim
Alliance: Dwarf > Iron Dwarf = Draenei = Human >>> Lightforge Draenei
Horde: Tauren > Blood Elf > Zandalari (Paku) = Zandalari (Kimbul) = Zandalari (Bwonsamdi)
- In general, race choice doesn’t matter that much. For example, Lightforge Draenei is only worse by like 1.4% compared with the best races.
- So first of all choose a race based on your own preferences, because if you are not excited to play dwarf for example, the desire to play as a paladin may decrease.
You should also consider all racial bonuses including the utility ones:
- Iron Dwarves can dispel negative effects with Fireblood and gain even more main stat. However if it is not stacked with Avenging Wrath / Crusade the value decreases dramatically. Iron Dwarves also move faster in dungeons by 4%;
- Draenei has a flat main stat bonus, plus a healing HoT - Gift of the Naaru;
- Human’s dps bonus grows with each patch due to the number of secondary stats on gear. You also can remove stuns with Will to Survive;
- Dwarf has flat 2% crit damage and a Stoneform, that is simply a good defensive ability and it isn’t combined with DPS bonus, like the Iron Dwarves have;
- Lightforge Draenei’s Light's Judgment was nerfed years ago and unfortunately they can’t offer anything useful;
- Zandalari trolls have access to different buffs, however the Embrace of Pa’ku gives the most value due to the extra 4% crit for 12 seconds. You also have a Regeneratin’ that allows you to heal yourself at max health very fast, however this cast can be interrupted by damage;
- Tauren has a flat 2% crit damage bonus, increased stamina and a War Stomp. This toolkit makes Tauren a very solid choice for any scenario;
- Blood Elves have an additional 1% crit chance, and Arcane Torrent that gives Holy Power and dispels magic from enemies. This is still a good choice for the Horde paladin players
Cloak - Graceful Avoidance or Homebound Speed
Chest - Waking Stats
Wrists - Devotion of Avoidance or Devotion of Speed
Legs - Fierce Armor Kit
Feet - Watcher’s Loam or Painsrunner’s Breeze
Rings - Devotion of Versatility or Devotion of Critical Strike
Weapon - Sophic Devotion
Before buying or crafting any gems you should sim yourself first:
- Resplendent Illimited Diamond or Inscribed Illimited Diamond (crafting orders only)
- Energized Malygite, Crafty Alexstraszite, Radiant Malygite, Radiant Alexstraszite (Sim yourself for the best result)
Phial - Iced Phial of Corrupting Rage or Phial of Tepid Versatility
Potion - Elemental Portion of Ultimate Power or Potion of Shocking Disclosure on big pulls in Mythic+
Food - Grand Banquet of the Kalu’ak or Sizzling Seafood Medley
Weapon - Buzzing Rune for Templar Strikes builds or Howling rune for Crusading Strikes builds