Welcome to the Mistweaver Monk guide written by Dragnio, a healing officer in Method.
I have been a healer main since late Wrath of the Lich King and a healing officer in Reason since early Legion up until Battle of Dazar’Alor when I had to step down from playing the game for a while. Mistweaver is one of the three healing specs I have played consistently in the last years and the spec I mained for the last couple of tiers during Battle for Azeroth.
- Exceptional single target sustain healing.
- Great mobility and survivability.
- 5% Physical damage debuff.
- Flexibility in talents when it comes to preparing for different scenarios.
- Lack of raid-wide damage reduction cooldown.
- If you are interested in in-depth information and discussion about the spec, I definitely recommend checking out Peak of Serenity Discord Server, which has a really helpful community, as well as the Peak of Serenity website with all the up-to-date information.
- Questionably Epic is a very helpful theorycrafting resource with loads of articles, guides and insights about all healer specs. It also features QE Live, which is a great tool for comparing different pieces of gear, analyzing trinkets, and many more! Definitely give it a try.
What has changed
Changes in 9.1:
- Enveloping Mist mana cost reduced by 6.7%.
- Revival healing done reduced by 10%, but it now triggers Mastery: Gust of Mists on all targets. This can be amplified by different conduits, Bonedust brew, and Essence Font HoT.
- Rising Sun Kick, Blackout Kick and Tiger Palm damage increased by 10%.
- Spinning Crane Kick damage increased by 20%.
- 4 new Covenant specific legendaries.
- Various Conduit bug fixes and changes.
- Additional Soulbind abilities.
Overall these are really good and welcome changes.
Changes in 9.0.5:
- Vivify mana cost reduced from 4.1% mana to 3.8%.
- Renewing Mist mana cost reduced from 2.2% mana to 1.8%.
- Clouded Focus Legendary got a buff - 20% increased healing and reduced mana cost, up from 15%.
Overall these changes are better than nothing, but nothing too exciting either.
Changes in Shadowlands:
Invoke Yu'lon, the Jade Serpent - A new 3-minute cooldown added to the Mistweaver baseline toolkit. A very powerful ability, which has the potential to do a big amount of healing especially because of the Enveloping Breath passive, which is activated every time the Monk casts Enveloping Mist during Yu’lon window.
Invoke Chi-Ji, the Red Crane - A completely reworked level 45 talent, which replaces Yu’lon if talented. It summons an effigy of Chi-ji which grants immunity for movement impairing effects for its duration, acts as a pet, assists you, and causes your damage spells (Blackout Kick, each Teachings of the Monastery stack, Rising Sun Kick and Spinning Crane Kick; NOTE: does NOT apply to Tiger Palm) to heal 2 allies and give you a buff, which decreases the cast time and mana cost of your Enveloping Mist by 33% per stack, stacking up to 3 where Enveloping Mist becomes instant and costs no mana. Casting Enveloping Mist while Chi-Ji is active will also trigger Enveloping Breath, similar to Yu’lon. This ability is quite powerful and extremely fun to use.
Expel Harm - has been added to the baseline toolkit. Currently, this spell is generally undesirable to use due to quite high mana cost, low healing done and being on GCD.
Touch of Death - has been added to the baseline toolkit. A very nice ability, which provides some extra DPS in the raid or dungeon setting when the boss or a priority target is below 15% HP, and also increases our physical damage done by 15% for 10 seconds after the ability has been cast.
Summon Jade Serpent Statue - Channel’s healing was buffed, but the duration was reduced from 30 seconds by default to 8 seconds by default. A bit of a weird change, which makes JSS less compelling than before due to the drastically increased amount of GCDs required to maintain the channel.
Fortifying Brew - Received a slight nerf (Extra 20% HP and 20% DR to extra 15% HP and 15% DR), as well as the cooldown was increased to 3 minutes, up from 2 minutes. Doesn’t affect Monk’s survivability much and still remains a decent defensive cooldown.
Mana Tea - Duration reduced from 12 seconds to 10, however it is off GCD now. A very welcome and good Quality-of-Life change.
Leg Sweep - Range increased from 5 yards to 6.