Hey! I’m Tokaine, the best tank you’ve never heard of and the number 1 advocate for T.D.M (Tank Damage Matters). I’ve been tanking since cataclysm, mainly playing protection warrior until legion where I branched out into other tank classes as I climbed the world ranks.
Protection warrior, one of the two sword and board tanks, a class which basically has no magical powers they effectively just get hit in the face and hit just as hard back.
It’s a pretty strong class defensively. It excels in situations where you’re taking a lot of physical damage and due to the nature of block the damage intake is pretty smooth. You do suffer a bit with DoT effects and magic damage (Unless the ability is Spell Reflectable then you feel amazing as you just launch a bolt back at the caster's face). Additionally the class is highly mobile, utilising a wide array of abilities such as Charge and Intervene, allowing you to charge to friend and foe alike. Furthermore, you have Heroic Leap which lets you soar quite far through the air. You also support your team in the means of shouts, Rallying Cry boosts your party/raids HP pool and Battle Shout increases their physical damage done. One of the biggest pitfalls of protection warriors is that they lack in self healing this means that if you do make a mistake you’ll need to rely on your healers to heal you up compared to other tanks that could do that themselves.
What has changed
- Fleshcraft became incredibly strong, increasing the shield amount as well as adding a 20% damage reduction buff while channeling. Additionally tanks are able to dodge, parry and block during the channel.
- Conqueror’s Banner gained a huge buff and became extremely viable. They changed it to now give 400 Mastery to yourself and your 2 closest allies as well as giving you a large amount of strength and movement speed. Certain specs such as Balance gain a huge amount of dps from Mastery so you are able to increase their burst by a lot when you coordinate this with your team.
- They buffed the legendary Reprisal to now give us 4 seconds of Shield Block and a free Revenge when we either Charge or Intervene as well as generating an additional 20 rage.
- Additionally our damage was increased across the board by 10% with Thunder Clap gaining an additional 10% on top of this.
- Not much changed for Protection Warrior from Shadowlands. Avatar was removed from the GCD and both Revenge and Thunder Clap now deal reduced damage beyond 5 targets.
- Some talents were moved around but mostly remained the same. Anger management was nerfed to no longer reduce the cooldown of Demoralizing shout or Last Stand.