Shadow Priests have historically been the kings/queens of spread out multi-target cleave. Sadly though, this has been significantly nerfed in Shadowlands. Making us primarily good at pure single target DPS with some value at stacked cleave from the Shadowflame Prism legendary.
All the things mentioned in this guide are subject to change. We will update it during the expansion as Blizzard changes class tuning and our knowledge of the fights, gear and simulations increases.
What has changed
Recent 9.1.5 Shadow Priest Changes
- Surrender to Madness duration increased to 30 seconds (was 25 seconds). However Increasing the duration of Surrender to Madness does nothing for us, since it's not where the value of the talent lies, and it's still too big of a risk for the little reward it gives
- Psychic Link (Talent) deals 60% of Mind Blast’s damage (was 50%). Psychic Link was never especially BAD, it was just designed in a way that it was just a Auspicious Spirits without any Single Target value. In sims, 60% PL does actually look fairly good in sustained 4+ cleave. But since it still does not have any Single Target value, it most likely won't be played much
Recent 9.1 Changes
- Sphere’s Harmony: Boon of the Ascended’s cooldown is reduced by 2 seconds, up to 60 sec, for each stack of Boon of the Ascended consumed by Ascended Eruption.
- Pallid Command: Casting Unholy Nova summons a Rattling Mage that gains 2% additional damage and healing each time an enemy affected by Unholy Transfusion is damage by and ally, up to 100%
- Bwonsamdi’s Pact: Enter a pact with the Death Loa, calling forth a haunted mask that lingers on a target until Fae Guardians ends. Haunted Mask copies the benefit of the current faerie on its target.
- Shadow Word: Manipulation: Mindgames lasts an additional 3 sec and reverses and additional 10% damage or healing. When Mindgames can no longer reverse healing or damage, gain 3% Critical Strike for each second remaining for 10 sec.
- Dissonant Echoes: Now grants 20% increased Void Bolt damage (Was 35%).
- Devouring Plague: Damage reduced by 18%
- Shadow Word: Pain: Damage increased by 25%
- Vampiric Touch: Damage increased by 25%
- Shadowflame Prism: Damage reduced by ~15%
- Talbadar’s Stratagem: Nerfed by ~8%