This guide was written by Wexi.
Destruction has always been a spec with two main niches: huge burst with CDs and high cleave damage through Havoc. In Shadowlands, this is still true, and with the addition of new tier sets, destruction is currently one of the highest AoE DPS specs in the game.
What has changed
Chaos Bolt damage increased by 5% in PvE combat.
Incinerate damage increased by 20%.
Immolate damage increased by 20%.
Conflagrate damage increased by 10% in PvE combat.
Massive nerf for AoE part of destruction, ST is somewhat the same with buffs.
Contained Perpetual Explosion (Venthyr Runecarving Power) now caps the amount of bonus periodic damage it provides at 275% when hitting 10 additional targets.
Seduction (Succubus Pet Ability) now causes the target to slowly walk towards the demon. It now also has a chance to break on damage taken, rather than always breaking on the first instance of damage.
Whiplash (Succubus Pet Ability) now also causes enemies to take 1% increased damage from the Succubus or Incubus each time it strikes, stacking up to 10 times. Duration increased to 15 seconds (was 10 seconds).
New Tier Set:
The Destro tier set is straightforward, and while not amplifying single target damage, both tier set bonuses are very good additions to cleave and AoE. Infernal from 4-set also triggers Rain of Chaos which makes it very promising for m+ and some raid boss encounters.
Impending Catastrophe width buffed by 60% and now deals a tick of its periodic damage on impact.
Decimating Bolt cast time reduced to 2 seconds (was 2.5 seconds previously).
Scouring Tithe instant and periodic damage increased by 20%, and cast time reduced to 1.5 seconds (was 2 seconds).
Languishing Soul Detritus critical strike chance bonus increased to 45% (was 40% previously) and now grants a 33% movement speed buff and a 15% critical strike chance increase when Scouring Tithe expires.
No significant change for destruction. Everything stays as it was. Necro got a slight buff for single target, which is nice and can be an option for single target scenarios. Kyrian buff may help it being an option in m+ or some cleave scenarios. Venthyr is still very bad.
The new patch is bringing 4 brand new legendaries for destruction! Sadly, it’s 1 per covenant, where you will only be able to use them to the corresponding covenant.
- Venthyr - Contained Perpetual Explosion (Head/Shoulder) Impending Catastrophe’s final explosion damage is increased by 75% and on top of that it also deals 15% damage for each enemy target hit on the way to its final target.
- Night Fae - Decaying Soul Satchel (Hands/Feet) Each time you cast Soul rot you gain 5% haste and critical strike per target you hit (This stacks up to 20% haste and crit) for 8 seconds.
- Languishing Soul Detritus (Chest/Wrist) When Scouring Tithe generates soul shards, it can gain 100% increased movement speed and 40% increased critical strike change for 8 seconds.
- Shard of Annihilation (Waist/Legs) Decimating Bolt also increases the critical strike chance by 100% and critical strike damage by 50% for Shadow Bolt/Drain Soul (affliction) Demonbolt (demonology) or Incinerate (destruction).
Other 9.1 changes
- Dark Pact was also buffed, the additional absorb shield has been increased by 316% (was 216%).
- Chaos Bolt damage increased by 10%
- Eradication (Level 15 Talent) now also increases the damage of pets and guardians.
- Shadowburn (Level 25 Talent) damage increased by 23% and now refreshes a charge if the target dies within 5 seconds.