Hey, I’m J-Funk. I have been playing Windwalker Monk since MoP and have been raiding in Humble since Legion which in Vault of the Incarnates was World 69th. In BfA I was consistently one of the higher rated WW Monks in M+ and have been a Windwalker Monk theorycrafter/guide maker for several years.
Windwalker Monk is a melee DPS spec that has a tool for nearly every situation and has flexible cooldowns, great utility, and excellent mobility. In Dragonflight, Windwalker Monk is becoming less of the ‘AoE God’ that it had been in Shadowlands due to losing multiplicative scaling with Calculated Strikes but in exchange is shoring up some of its notable weaknesses in the past such as single and two target damage and expanding on their already extensive utility repertoire with new auras that can provide healing taken increased and avoidance.
What has changed
Patch 10.0.7 Changes
- New Talent: Skytouch – Tiger Palm applies an effect that increases your critical strike chance by 50% for 6 seconds on the target. This effect cannot be applied more than once every 1 minute per target.
- Inner Peace’s maximum Energy Bonus increased to 30 (was 10).
- Inner Peace now also increases Tiger Palm damage by 10%.
- Rising Star now increases Rising Sun Kick damage by 3/6% (was 5/10%).
- Rising Star now increases Rising Sun Kick’s critical strike damage by 8/16%.
- Faeline Harmony’s damage and healing bonus increased to 12% (was 8%).
Patch 10.0.7 brings welcome changes for Windwalker in the form of a choice node for Skyreach called Skytouch, which removes the dash part of the effect. The dash part is useful in most situations, but having the option to remove it in situations where it can cause problems (some M+ dungeons, Sennarth) will be a very handy option to have in our toolkit.
Additionally, this patch brings several talent changes aimed at increasing the damage of Single-Target oriented builds. Overall these are a net gain of about 3-4% damage from before and should help slightly. There is also the potential with the Inner Peace changes that it will be incorporated into some builds, but it is too early to tell if this will be the case.