Welcome to the Vengeance Demon Hunter guide written by Fem, further updated by Kian.
Fem has been tanking since Wrath of the Lich King and recently joined Method on their Road To World First project. Fem has been raiding on a Mythic raiding level on all different tank classes but often plays what is required by the guild.
Vengeance Demon Hunter excels at self-healing, they might take a lot of damage but because of their self-sustain, they usually require less attention from healers than other tanks. They also bring Chaos Brand, which is a must-have in raids. However, Chaos Brand is not unique to them as Havoc Demon Hunters also bring the debuff. The spec is known to struggle with keeping their active mitigation up, which is often very relevant to Mythic raiding as a single tank-mechanic often kills a tank without any form of mitigation. However, by rotating Demon Spikes, Fiery Brand, and Metamorphosis the Vengeance Demon Hunter can survive quite well.
What has changed
Patch 9.2.5 (Season 4)
No changes have been made for Vengeance Demon Hunters.
With Season 4 bringing back the old raids from this expansion as fated, as well as a new(old) pool of dungeons for Mythic+, a whole bunch of their items has become worth acquiring as their item level has gone up.
This season allows you to acquire up to 3 Puzzling Cartel Dinar through killing raid bosses, allowing you to buy specific items from the 3 raids, essentially working as a form of bad luck protection, should you not loot them yourself.
The Gearing section will cover some items worth spending on in case you don't obtain them throughout the raid or vault.
Patch 9.2 Changes
This patch brings back tier sets and opens up for the long-awaited double legendary.
The second legendary is limited to a normal one as well as a covenant one.
Mercurial Punisher's Painweave is our tier set, and you can find more about it in the gearing section.
Patch 9.1.5 Changes
Sinful Brand (Venthyr Ability) has had its cooldown reduced from 1 minute to 45 seconds.
Blind Faith (Kyrian Legendary) now gives 1% versatility instead of mastery.
On top of these Vengeance-specific changes, Blizzard has also removed the maximum target cap on a bunch of area-of-effect abilities. For Vengeance, that means Soul Cleave and Spirit Bomb (reduced damage beyond 5 targets(previously soft-capped at 20 targets.)
Patch 9.1.0 Changes
No other changes have been made to Vengeance Demon Hunter, however like every other class, we received a new legendary for each Covenant, as well as an extension to the soulbinds.
- Blind Faith - Kyrian specific legendary crafted on chest or back. Elysian Decree spawns 2 additional Soul Fragments and gives a Blind Faith buff for 20 seconds. The buff increases your Mastery by 1% and generates 10 Fury per Soul Fragment consumed while active.
- Demonic Oath - Necrolord specific legendary crafted on Waist or Wrist. When the Fodder to the Flame demon explodes, it will apply Fiery Brand to up to 5 enemies hit by the explosion, as well as extend the buff granted by the demons Soul Fragment by 8 seconds.
- Blazing Slaughter - Night Fae specific legendary crafted on Shoulders, Feet or Back. The Hunt triggers Immolation Aura when hitting your target, and increases your Agility by 3% per target hit for 12 seconds.
- Agony Gaze - Venthyr specific legendary crafted on Head or Legs. Sinful Brand damage is increased by 10% and Fel Devastation damage increases the duration of it by 0.5 seconds.
Two new generic conduits were added to everyone.
- Adaptive Armor Fragment is the Potency Conduit. Your primary stat is increased for 15 seconds when healer by another play, with a cooldown of 30 seconds.
- Condensed Anima Sphere is the Endurance Conduit. When you take any damage, you heal for a percent of your maximum health with a cooldown of 10 seconds.
General Shadowlands Changes
The self-healing of Vengeance has also been significantly impacted coming into Shadowlands. This means that they are slightly less self-sustained and require a bit more attention from healers in raids.
The talent tree has also seen some re-adjusting, which has led to a few new builds being viable, depending on the content you’re doing.