In Legion, Fire started out as a strong spec, with very frontloaded damage in the Combustion windows, but unfortunately scaled relatively poorly. Blizzard tried to address these problems in 7.1.5, however, and Fire has been largely a mythic+ spec since. Its main strength is burst and sustained AoE damage, as well as burst single target damage. The current weakness, however, is sustained single target damage, where it lags behind Frost somewhat.
Fire’s talents allow it to morph into several playstyles, from a very simple one, to more involved rotations.
Still, as it stands, to pick Fire over Frost, Blizzard would have to make severe changes, or a fight would have to be very fire-friendly.
If you want to discuss the guide, or talk Fire in general, you can also click on the image below and come to the Method Fire channel!
Important 7.2.5 changes
- Warmth of the Phoenix duration increased by 2 seconds.
- Two new legendaries added:
New Tomb of Sargeras tier set
2p: Fireball has a 15% chance to cause your next Pyroblast or Flamestrike to be a guaranteed critical strike. This is another a simple proc that you should track, since you can react faster with an instant Fire Blast if you know that your Pyroblast will crit.
4p: Pyroblast and Flamestrike critical strikes increases the damage of your next Pyroblast or Flamestrike by 10% for 8 sec. Since so many of our Pyroblasts and Flamestrikes crit, this significantly increases our finisher's damage.
Both of these bonuses are very decent, especially the 4p, which buffs our main damage spell, Pyroblast.
Important Patch 7.1.5 Changes
- Most of our baseline damage spells and talents have been buffed to give us a higher sustain DPS and we have higher base Crit via Critical Mass.
- Combustion now gives 50% of Crit rating as Mastery, instead of 100%.
- Pyretic Incantation now gives 2% Crit damage per stack, down from 5%.
- Cauterize is now baseline, but has a 5 minute cooldown.
- Ice Floes is no longer a talent option and has been removed from Fire.
- Flame On is now a passive that gives us a maximum of 3 Fire Blast charges and reduces it's cooldown.
- Combustion is now a 10 second buff that provides 100% Crit and boosts your Mastery for it's duration.
- Fire Blast now has 2 charges, is off the GCD and can be used while casting other spells, it's cooldown is reduced by Haste.
- Mastery: Ignite now deals damage over 9 seconds and automatically spreads to nearby targets every 2 seconds.
- You can no longer have a Heating Up proc on top of a Hot Streak proc.
- Hot Streak can now be used for Pyroblast or Flamestrike.