My name is Lnoght and I will be writing the Unholy Death Knight guide. I've been playing WoW since Wrath of the Lich King and started raiding in WoD, joining Reason in BFA after Uldir and now Method for Shadowlands.
- Unique add control with Death grip which has been very useful in previous tiers (Hivemind in Ny'alotha, Za’qul and Orgozoa in The Eternal Palace, Mekkatorque in BoD and Mythrax in Uldir).
- Anti-magic-zone, which is a massive raid cooldown that provides a 20% magic damage reduction for everyone inside the zone.
- Icebound fortitude, which can have very unique uses, allowing you to break out of stuns like the Stasis traps on Artificer Xy’mox in Castle Nathria.
- Death’s Advance, making you immune to slows below 100% when used and giving you immunity to forced movement effects/knockbacks. This has been useful in the past in fights like Abyssal Commander Sivara’s Crushing reverberation in The Eternal Palace or inevitable end on King Rastakhan in Battle of Dazar’alor.
- Strong cooldowns with high single target damage, and promising AoE burst damage.
- Limited mobility. Death knights don't have a jump/blink to quickly deal with mechanics that require to get to a certain spot very quickly
- Target swapping. Is one of the bigger issues if you're on a fight that randomly spawn a new prio target you need to burst down it's going to take the death knight a few globals before they can really start to do damage
- Can be Talent dependent which in some scenarios forces you to choose between single target or AoE and utility.
- Semi Cooldown reliant.
What has changed
By far the biggest change for Deaths Knight in Shadowlands is having Anti-Magic zone and Epidemic as baseline and the talent has been replaced with Unholy pact. Unholy pact is similar to the BFA Azerite Trait Helchains.