Welcome to the Method Marksmanship Hunter guide written by me, Qenjua. I've been a German Hunter main for the past 5 years. I’m currently raiding in Honolulu, streaming both Progress as well as high Mythic +.
Marksmanship hunter has high mobility since Aimed Shot is the only cast you have to stand in place. This class also grants a bunch of utilities such as Binding Shot, Tar Trap, Freezing Trap, Intimidation, Misdirection, and Primal Rage, as well as an immunity (Aspect of the Turtle). This spec also has a really strong AoE burst.
The weakness of this spec is that you need at least 3 targets for your Multi-Shot to trigger Trick Shots to start doing AoE damage; basically, the spec is also weak outside of its cooldowns. Marksman Hunter is also one of the weakest classes in terms of defensive utility.
What has changed
Changes in Patch 10.1.7
There haven't been any changes to Marksmanship Hunter in Patch 10.1.7 that have required updates to the guide.
Changes from August 7th
- Multi-Shot damage increased by 8%
- Explosive Shot damage increased by 10%
- Trick Shots now spread 70% of the initial damage done (up from 65%)
In this current iteration of the 10.1.5 patch we got some significant buffs on several abilities. Even though those buffs do not change the way we currently play Marksman, they are welcome changes, especially for any AoE scenarios.
Changes in Patch 10.1.5
- In a recent update Kill Shot, Aimed Shot and Rapid Fire got buffed by 10%. This change heavily changed the talent builds and allowed some new builds to rise up.
Changes in Patch 10.1
General Hunters changes:
- Roar of Sacrifice is now a talent in the core tree as a choice node against Hunter's Avoidance.
- Revive Pet now has a 2.5 second cast time (was 3 seconds) and is now physical (can no longer be stopped by Silence and Interrupt effects).
- Rejuvenating Wind now heals for 8%/16% of maximum health (was 10%/20%).
- New Talent: In the Rhythm (that replaces Lethal Shots) – Fully channeling Rapid Fire now grants you 12% Haste for 6 seconds.
- Bombardment has been redesigned – Kill Shot now grants you Trick Shots.
- Legacy of the Windrunners has been slightly redesigned – Aimed Shot now always shoots 2/4 Wind Arrows at your target. Every 24 Wind Arrows fired generates a charge of Aimed Shot and 30 Focus.
- Wind Arrows from Legacy of the Windrunners have had their damage reduced by 66%.
- Windrunner's Guidance now grants 6 seconds of Trueshot (was 10 seconds).
- Bullseye is now 1 rank talent for the same benefit as the previous 2-rank version.
Changes in Patch 10.0.7
Due to the nerf of Neltharax, Enemy of the sky’s effect, the spec has been buffed:
- Death Chakram damage increased by 100%.
- Serpent Sting damage increased by 25%.
- Multi-Shot damage increased by 15%.
- Arcane Shot damage increased by 25%.
- Chimaera Shot damage increased by 25%.
- A few talent connections have been adjusted.
- Steady Focus and Tactical Reload have swapped spots back to their pre-10.0.5 spots.
- Rejuvenating Wind talent now also increases maximum health by 4% per rank.