Hey everyone, and welcome to the Throne of the Tides M+ guide for season 3 of Dragonflight! In this article I’ll be covering the abilities of all the trash mobs and bosses throughout the dungeon, as well as how I recommend you deal with them. Notably, this dungeon received a massive rework from the Cataclysm version, so large portions of the dungeon are now completely different. I will also be including a recommended, PUG friendly route via the Mythic Dungeon Tools addon for anyone interested.
A bit about me, my name is Tactyks and I am an avid M+ player, achieving every 0.1% M+ title that has existed as well as competing in The Great Push in season 4 of Shadowlands. I also create M+ and Raid guide content on my YouTube and Twitch channels, so be sure to stop by and say hi!
Lady Naz’jar Trash
- Thrash targets the tank, be aware of pulling multiple of these mobs in one pack
- Occasionally the mob will gain Slithering Assault, soothe it off or have the tank use a defensive
Vicious Snap Dragon
- Will fixate a random player with Ravenous Pursuit, CC the mob and kite if you are targeted
- Auto attacks apply Razor Jaws, so tanks and fixated players use a defensive if this starts to stack up
- Use an interrupt or CC to stop the Healing Wave cast
- Water bolt targets a random player, use spare interrupts on this
- This mob is immune to CC
- Shellbreaker targets the tank, use a defensive for the hit and damage taken increase
- Crushing Depths targets a random player, use a defensive if targeted and healers focus this player to get rid of the healing absorb as quickly as possible
- This mob is immune to CC
- Acid Barrage shoots a frontal at a random player, spread out so only a single person is hit with each cast and use a defensive if needed
- Avoid the random target circle spawned by Volatile Bolt
Naz’jar Tempest Witch
- Lightning Bolt targets a random player, use spare interrupts on this
- Lightning Surge debuffs a random player, loosely spread to avoid cleaving and use a magic dispel to remove the effect
Deep Murloc Drudge
- Leaping Thrash targets a random player, loosely spread to avoid cleaving
Lady Naz’jar Boss Fight
Avoid the Geyser swirlies that spawn throughout the fight.
Be sure to interrupt every cast of the random target Water Bolt spell.
Shock Blast targets a random player, move away with the explosion so you don’t cleave your party and give them time to dodge the Shock Orbs that spawn.
Heal through the random target damage done by Focused Tempest.
At 60% and 30% health the boss will become immune and spawn one Naz’jar Honor Guard, two Naz’jar Frost Witches, and several Deep Sea Murlocs. When these are defeated she returns to her regular phase.
Naz’jar Honor Guard will buff themselves with Slithering Assault which can be soothed, and will occasionally jump to a random player and channel the Trident Flurry cone through their position. Step out of the frontal and use a CC to stop this effect.
Naz’jar Frost Witches will Frostbolt the tank, applying a magic slow on successful casts. They will also buff themselves with Icy Veins which can be purged. I recommend interrupting these 2 mobs quickly at the start of the add phase and grouping them up between their spawns near where the Honor Guard starts.
Deep Sear Murlocs will just use Leaping Thrash on random players so you’ll want to be loosely spread in this phase.
Commander Ulthok Boss Fight
Crushing Claw targets the tank, use a defensive for the hit and following damage amp.
Festering Shockwave is the main source of damage on this fight, use defensives and healing CDs to survive both the initial hit and the 12s DoT.
Bubbling Fissures spawn on 3 random players and will remain in play for the rest of the fight. When the boss casts Awaken Ooze, these fissures will animate wherever they are for 12s and begin to fixate on a random player. These oozes will apply Bubbling Ooze to them if they are near, and while they are immune to CC if they are hit by any ability they will be knocked back. I recommend staying as a group and positioning such that these mobs must run through the boss to reach you, allowing the tank and melee players to knock them back with AoE abilities when they get close.
Mindbender Ghur’sha Trash
- This mob is immune to CC
- Does a combo of Clenching Tentacles into Shadow Smash, when this happens everyone make sure to run out of the AoE
- Crush targets the tank, be aware if pulling multiple of these mobs in one pack
- Mind Flay targets a random player, use an interrupt or CC to stop the cast
- Avoid the random target line spawned by Null Blast
Minion of Ghur’sha
- Use a CC to stop as many Psionic Pulse casts as possible, this isn’t dangerous on its own but pulls usually include several of these mobs
Mindbender Ghur’sha Boss Fight
Random players will be hit with Flame Shock through the first phase of this fight, you’ll want to use your magic dispel on CD here so you don’t get overwhelmed by these DoTs.
Earthfury spawns multiple swirlies under all players over the 2s duration, walk in a staggered fashion to avoid these and either stack with other players or stay away from them entirely.
Stormflurry Totem drastically increases the tank damage intake while alive, so make sure to swap to these right away and have your tank use a defensive.
When the boss reaches 25% HP, Mindbender Ghur’sha will jump off and engage you herself, healers just be careful when this happens as sometimes healing aggro has built up on this mob over the first phase.
When Terrifying Vision is cast use one of the pillars in the room to LoS and avoid the effect. If you are hit you can use a magic dispel to clear the fear. Outside of this, you just take constant ticking damage in this phase from Mind Rot which needs to be healed through.
- Throw Spear targets a random player, use a CC to stop the cast
- Occasionally the mob will disengage and use Poisoned Spear on the tank, try and have their backs to a wall and use a CC to stop the cast or a defensive if multiple of these casts overlap, dispelling the stacking poison DoT if possible
- Aquablast targets a random player, use an interrupt to prevent the cast
- This mob is immune to CC
- Use defensives and healing CDs to survive the damage from Swell
- Wave of Corruption stacking disease applies to the party on-death, avoid killing these mobs during the Swell channel if you can
Ozumat Boss Fight
Tanks make sure to stay in melee range or the boss will spam cast Foul Bolt at you. You’ll also want to be away from the rest of your party as the tank buster Murk Spew is also a frontal. Use a defensive for this hit if needed.
Healers be prepared to keep players up for the Putrid Roar cast and DoT, and players make sure to defensive if you are low going into this ability.
Blotting Barrage targets 3 players, dealing damage to them and leaving behind a pool of Blotting Darkness. These pools will constantly grow throughout the fight unless one of the two players buffed with Cleansing Flux stands on top of them to soak them up. If you can have the players debuffed by Blotting Darkness get as close together as possible without cleaving their effect to make clearing the puddles easier.
Occasionally Deluge of Filth swirlies will spawn around the room, creating 2 Splotch adds and 3 Sludge adds.
Sludges just need to be tanked and will apply the stacking Grimy DoT to the tank, then on-death will explode with Gushing Ink, leaving behind another puddle that must be cleared, so try and tank these mobs close to existing puddles to maximize space.
Splotch adds will just target random players with Ink Blast, so make sure they are interrupted quickly so they can be grouped and cleaved down with the Sludges, then use additional interrupts and CCs to prevent further casts.
In terms of positioning here, I recommend the 4 non-tank players stay relatively close together, rotating around the room as they create puddles. The tank should be positioned ahead of them, as this allows the frontal to be pointed away from the group while also allowing the tank to quickly group up mobs to be cleaved down near any melee players in your group.
Once you defeat the Ink of Ozumat, you will be empowered with Tidal Surge while taking constant damage from Raining Darkness, so it's just a race to kill Ozumat before they kill you.
Throne of the Tides Mythic+ Dungeon Route
Not a ton to think about in this route as you mostly just kill everything in your path, to start I like to do a big pull with bloodlust and CDs as it’s pretty big value. Once you clear through the first 3 packs you can make your way up the bubble teleporter towards the gauntlet in pull 4, feel free to stop here to catch up on interrupts after G7, but for efficiency I recommend having either the tank or a ranged player tag G8 as well.
In the next room you need to be careful when pulling the patrolling ravager G13 as it can aggro G12 if not done correctly. Wait for it to be away from this pack before pulling and if you have them use mind soothe or other combat radius reducing CCs like Sap or Imprison to reduce any potential risk.
Be very careful of the patrolling pack of Vicious Snap Dragons in G16 here, if you have a bleed dispel on hand you’ll want to make sure it’s available on this pull, and tanks be ready to CC these mobs and kite when you run out of defensives if these mobs are still alive. Note that for pull 7 it does not matter if you pull G14 or G15 with the patrol as they are both the exact same. There is also an argument to pull both G14 and G15 instead of leaving one up, as the 2nd boss is fought in this room so leaving the mobs alive means you potentially aggro them during the boss fight which would likely result in a wipe.
From here you basically fight back to back bosses in Lady Naz’jar and Commander Ulthok. Once they are defeated, you can make your way back through the gauntlet, down the bubble teleporter, and towards Mindbender Ghur’sha. The pulls in this area are fairly straightforward, just be aware if you pull multiple Faceless Watchers as you’ll need to be ready to run out of multiple Shadow Smash AoEs.
After defeating the 3rd boss, you then need to make your way through another gauntlet to get to Ozumat, which can be quite dangerous with the combo of Swell from the Tainted Sentry mobs and Wave of Corruption from the Unstable Corruption mobs which continuously spawn in this area. If you ever need to pause to let your debuffs drop feel free to do so, just also make sure you don’t over AoE in this area and restack up the debuff when you’re about to pull another Sentry. Also be careful with pull 17, as it currently has 6 spam cast mobs in it, so being able to silence or otherwise lockdown these mobs is very important.