The Frostbrood Proto-Wyrm mount is a promotional mount that you unlock by completing the Death Knight introduction questline in Wrath of the Lich King Classic. You unlock the mount on your retail characters (Shadowlands) once you hand in the final quest in the questline to your faction’s respective leader in Stormwind for Alliance (Where Kings Walk) or Orgrimmar for the Horde (Warchief's Blessing).
When does the Frostbrood Proto-Wyrm become unavailable to obtain?
Blizzard have confirmed on a news post that the Frostbrood Proto-Wyrm mount can only be obtained before the release of the Dragonflight expansion on November 28th.
This means you still have plenty of time to collect this awesome mount!
After starting the Death Knight quests to get the mounts ourselves, we quickly realised that we remembered a lot less than we had expected. We decided that we should put together a video and written breakdown of how we unlocked the mount to hopefully help a few other players unlock it themselves.
Creating your Death Knight:
- You don’t need to have a level 55 character on the realm before making your Death Knight, the first DK created on your account is free of that restriction.
- You can’t make this first Death Knight on any of the “new” realms, unless you have leveled up a character to 55 on one of them already.
- Locked servers require you to have characters on them already to make new ones.
- We made our characters on a “Low” population realm as we only intended to unlock the mount with these characters and wanted to avoid queues.
- Based on how long it took us to complete the introduction questline, we estimate that it will take you between 1 - 2 hours to complete, with some of it depending on how lucky you are with a few of the quests.
- Remember to use your talent points. We suggest starting in the Unholy tree to unlock the On a Pale Horse talent for faster mount speed.
- This mount is not available in World of Warcraft Classic
Video guide of how to unlock the Frostbrood Proto-Wyrm Mount
We recorded a condensed play through video to help anyone that prefers to watch a walkthrough of the questline in addition to a written breakdown of steps to follow below.
Map of Key Objective Areas:
This map shows all of the key reference points we mention during the guide.
Step-by-Step walkthrough guide of the Death Knight Intro Questline
- Pickup the In Service Of The Lich King quest from the Lich King, and hand it in inside the room behind you to Instructor Razuvious. Accept the next quest, The Emblazoned Runeblade.
- Loot the weapon from the rack in front of the forge and use the item in your bag next to the forge. When the cast is finished, turn in the quest.
- Accept the Runeforging: Preparation For Battle quest and use runeforging (in the general tab of your spell book) on the weapon at the forge, either runeforge works, then hand in that quest.
- Pickup the The Endless Hunger quest, equip your weapon, then right click on the chain on the wall behind ONE of the unworthy initiates in the middle of the room and kill the initiate when it becomes active. Hand in the quest and pickup the next one, The Eye Of Acherus.
- Hand in the quest to the Lich King on the balcony and accept the Death Comes From On High quest.
- Click on one of the blue flaming pillars on either side of the Lich King.
- When you're in control of the eye, use your first ability (Siphon of Acherus) at the 4 locations marked with the red arrows in-game (Forge, Scarlet Hold, The Chapel, Town Hall). You can cast the first ability high enough up to not get attacked.If you do get attacked, use the third ability (shroud) and you can distract the mobs by summoning Ghouls with your second ability. When finished, use ability 5 to exit the vehicle. Hand in the quest to the Lich King, then accept The Might Of The Scourge quest.
- Take the teleporter to the other floor.Hand in the quest to Highlord Darion Mograine in the center of the room and accept the Report To Scourge Commander Thalanor quest. Run further into the room and complete the auto-complete quest, The Power Of Blood, Frost And Unholy, from Lord Thorval (the DK class trainer).
- Run to and hand in the quest to Scourge Commander Thalanor on the balcony (don’t use the teleporter), accept the The Scarlet Harvest quest and click one of the Scourge Gryphons to fly down to the Camp (Death’s Breach) on the ground.
- Accept the 4 quests available in the Camp (If Chaos Drives, Let Suffering Hold The Reins, Grand Theft Palomino, Tonight We Dine In Havenshire and Death's Challenge).
- Start by dueling the Death Knight initiate NPCs by speaking to them and pressing the option to challenge them or by dueling other players by requesting a duel. Hand in the quest when you finish it.
- Go down into the fields and steal a horse (avoid the elite stable master that walks around the area, go for a horse away from him) then use the second action button to speed up and run back to the Camp faster. Press the Deliver Stolen Horse button when back at Salanar the Horseman and hand in the quest.
- Accept the Into the Realm of Shadows quest from Salanar (leave the party if you’re in one and do this quest separately, otherwise someone will need to wait for it to respawn). You will be put into a shadow realm and need to run down to the mine (on the right of the camp) and kill the Dark Rider of Acherus mob that should be in front of it. Once you defeat him, click on his horse to mount it and run back to the camp and press the action button to finish the quest. Then hand in the quest.
Completing this quest will reward you with your mount, open the Pet tab (Shift + P or Character and press the pet tab), make sure to move the mount onto your action bar to use it easily.
This is a good time to use your talent points if you haven’t already (we recommend starting in unholy to unlock the On a Pale Horse talent for faster mount speed).
- Go into the fields and kill the “Scarlet Crusaders” (any mob with Scarlet in their name) whilst collecting Saronite Arrows from on the floor – prioritise the Scarlet Peasants as they count towards the quest with much less health.
Whilst down in the fields you can find and complete the quest, Abandoned Mail, at the mailbox.
When all quests are completed, return to the quest givers at the camp to hand them in.
- Pickup the Gothik the Harvester quest that is available and hand it in to Gothik the Harvester in the Camp. Accept the next quest, The Gift That Keeps On Giving.
- Go down to the mine. This one has some luck to it. You need to use the item in your bag for the quest (Gift of the Harvester), aiming it at a Miner and if successful it will raise a friendly Scarlet Ghoul that will follow you. If it fails, kill the ghost that spawns. When you have 5 of the friendly Ghouls following you, you can run back with them up to Gothik the Harvester in the Camp, wait for the Ghouls to be accepted and hand in the quest. Note: Make sure not to run too far away from them, as they will despawn. If they are in combat, they will fight and may die, make sure to kill the mob before running away to avoid having to do the quest again.
- Pickup the An Attack Of Opportunity quest, hand it in to Prince Valanar, accept the Massacre At Light's Point quest and run back down to the mine and click on the mine-cart in the front right of the mine entrance.You will get pulled down to the beach onto a boat. When there, and in control of your character again, click to enter the cannon use the first ability to kill the mobs on the beach. If the mobs get onto the boat, use the second ability to zap the area around the cannon. Press the death gate icon when finished with the quest and hand in the quest.
- After getting the Victory At Death's Breach quest, click on the Scourge Gryphon (on your right) to fly back up to The Ebon Hold. Hand in the quest to Highlord Darion Mograine in the center of the room and accept the next quest, The Will Of The Lich King.
You can then run further into the room and buy new spells from the trainer
Use any additional talent points that you haven't used yet
Make sure you've equip any better gear you have been rewarded with
- Run back to the Scourge Gryphon and fly back down to the camp and hand in the quest.
- Accept the The Crypt of Remembrance quest and run through the fields over to the Crypt. On your way there, accept the The Plaguebringer's Request quest from Noth the Plague Bringer, then complete and accept the two new quests in the Crypt (Nowhere To Run And Nowhere To Hide and Lambs To The Slaughter).
- Run outside and then straight forward to the far wall entrance into the next zone.
- Enter the New Avalon Forge (on the left as you enter) and loot the chain in the corner.
- Then run into the Inn (the first building in front of you as you exit the Forge) and in the basement via the Kitchen you can click and loot the empty cauldron.
- Then, run into the town hall and kill the mobs inside, after killing the Mayor Quimby loot the Registry (book) on the table next to where he stands.
- Keep looting all the mobs you kill for the Crusader Skulls they drop. Kill the Citizens in the other buildings (these also drop skulls) and prioritise these over the soldiers as they are quicker to kill. When all quests are completed, run back and hand in the quest you picked up from Noth the Plague Bringer, accept the Noth's Special Brew quest and hand that in at the cauldron next to you, then hand in the other quests in the Crypt.
- Accept the How to Win Friends and Influence Enemies quest, then open the Ornately Jeweled Box in your bags and equip the 2 swords it gives to you. Run back into the Town zone with scarlet mobs and attack them until you find the mob that will become immune and will tell you about the Crimson Dawn to complete the quest. This one can be luck based, so keep trying any Scarlet mob until the interrogation works (doesn’t have to be a specific unique mob). When it’s completed, hand in the quest at the Crypt and accept the next one, Behind Scarlet Lines.
- Run from the Crypt to the Scarlet Tavern in the orchard, hand in your quest and accept the two quests upstairs, The Path Of The Righteous Crusader and Brothers In Death.
- Run to the Scarlet Hold, enter to the right and go downstairs into the basement where you should see Koltira Deathweaver (or you may need to wait for them to spawn if someone just finished the quest). Hand in the quest, accept the Bloody Breakout quest, then wait for the RP to start and kill the multiple waves of mobs that run down the stairs until High Inquisitor Valroth runs down. Kill him and make sure to loot his head. You can stand inside the anti magic zone (purple zone) to take less damage.
- After looting the head, run out of the basement and go upstairs, turn left at the top of the stairs, then turn right up the ramp into the large room and loot the Patrol Schedule from on the table.
- After looting the schedule, run back and hand in the quests at the Scarlet Tavern. Accept the next quest, A Cry For Vengeance.
Make sure to use any extra talent points that you haven't already
- Run outside of the Tavern and then to the left of the Chapel to where you hand in the quest and accept the A Special Surprise quest.
- Run into the prisoner building next to you and find the prisoner you have been instructed to kill.
The RP starts when you run into the room and find the correct person. If someone else has just killed the prisoner you need to kill, you need to wait for them to respawn and then run out and back into the room to trigger the RP.
After the RP has finished, they can be attacked, kill them and hand in the quest outside. You will then be given the A Sort Of Homecoming quest to return to the Scarlet Tavern.
- Hand in the quest at the Scarlet Tavern and pick up the next quest, Ambush At The Overlook.Run towards the scarlet overlook and use the Makeshift Cover item in your bags at the top of the path down to King’s Harbor. A Scarlet Courier will spawn, grip them and kill them. Loot the courier for the quest items and return to the Scarlet Tavern to hand in the quest.
When handing in quests in Tavern, be careful not to click on the death gate until you are on the quest to do so.
- Accept the A meeting with Fate quest, after which you will be transformed with a disguise. Run down to the bottom of the cliff to Kings Harbor and hand in the quest to High General Abbendis. Accept the The Scarlet Onslaught Emerges quest and run back to the Scarlet Tavern.
- Hand in and pickup the next quest, Scarlet Armies Approach. Wait for the Death Gate to spawn and enter it to return to The Ebon Hold. Hand in the quest in the middle of the room and accept The Scarlet Apocalypse quest.
Now is a good time to buy more skills from the trainer and use any talent points you have available
- Take one of the Scourge Gryphons on the balcony down to the camp, and hand in the quest to the Lich King. Accept the An End To All Things quest from him and use the Horn of the Frost Brood item in your bags to summon the Frost Brood Vanquisher. Fly over to the scarlet crusader zone and shoot the ballistas on the towers, shoot the soldiers and use the third action button to regain health and mana to stay alive and to use your damage ability. Be careful of your health as you take a lot of damage in some places. When you’ve finished, make sure to fly back to the Lich King before exiting the vehicle (otherwise you just fall with a parachute where you pressed exit). Hand in the quest to the Lich King and accept the The Lich King's Command quest.
- Run to the Browman Mill.Turn around and run through the cave that’s behind the camp, then stay towards the left and follow it around to the Mill. Hand in the quest to Scourge Commander Thalanor and accept the next quest, The Light of Dawn.
- Look at the top of your screen for the timer. Wait for the battle of light's hope to start before running anywhere. If it hasn’t started, the mobs at the church will do a lot of damage to you. If it has started, you should be able to run over to the church with the friendly NPCs whilst the battle is active and get credit for being there.
- Once the battle is finished, hand in the quest to Highlord Darion Mograine (where the battle happened), pick up the Taking Back Acherus quest and use your new Death Gate ability in your spellbook and click the gate to return to The Ebon Hold. Equip your new weapon reward.
- When back at The Ebon Hold, hand in the quest, pick up the next and use the teleporter to go down to the runeforging room and kill Patchwerk and the mobs around the side until the quest is completed. When finished, take the teleporter back up and hand in the quest. Accept the next quest, Warchief's Blessing for the Horde and Where Kings Walk for the Alliance.
- Use the portal to your respective faction’s capital city at the edges of the balcony. Run to King Varian Wrynn in Stormwind Keep for Alliance characters or Thrall in the Valley of Wisdom in Orgrimmar for Horde and hand in the quest.
Once you have handed in the Where Kings Walk (Alliance) or Warchief's Blessing (Horde) quest, you have completed the requirements to get the Frostbrood Proto-Wyrm mount on your retail characters, which should appear inside your mount collection tab, congratulations!
We really enjoyed playing through these quests again after such a long time, and hope that this guide helped you on your journey.