Playstyle & Rotation
Frost mage is simple yet requires you to be reactive and adapt to the procs you are getting. Everything you do revolves around your procs, what order you use them, and how you can optimize the damage from them. Whenever you don’t have any procs Frostbolt will be your main filler together with Blizzard (on multiple targets to reduce Blizzard cooldown). If you get a 2nd Ice Lance proc, it’s worth to stop your Frostbolt cast, to use your Fingers of Frost proc to make sure you won’t get capped. These are the rules for your procs. If you get a:
Fingers of Frost proc, it should be used on your next global using Ice Lance. If you already have a proc, and get a second one, cancel your Frostbolt cast and use your proc to avoid losing potential Fingers of Frost.
Brain Freeze you want to combo Flurry after a Frostbolt followed by 2 Ice Lance’s. They’ve now made it so Flurry leaves 2x Winter’s Chill debuffs on the target allowing for 2x Shatter from your Ice Lance.
A few other rules:
- Try to always pair your Frozen Orb with Rune of Power.
- Use Shifting Power in your downtime to reset cooldowns.
- On two or more targets use Blizzard to reduce Frozen Orb cooldown.
- Pre-Cast Frostbolt (at around 2.5-3 seconds before the pull)
- Cast Frozen Orb
- Use Icy Veins + Potion
- Spend all your Ice Lance procs
- Use Frostbolt as your filler ability when having no procs
- Use Blizzard on 2 or more targets
- Use Rune of Power when your first one from the Icy Veins is over while still having Icy Veins up
- Use Shifting Power to reduce your cooldowns
- Spam Frostbolt till you get procs, and follow the rules listed above