Playstyle & Rotation
- Make sure totem mastery is active.
- Cast Fire Elemental / Storm Elemental on cooldown. But be aware of fight length when you can delay casts to min-max damage.
- Cast Flame Shock when not active or lower than 7 seconds.
- Cast Earthquake if it hits 2 or more targets for its full duration.
- Cast Lightning Bolt if Stormkeeper is and specced into Master of the elements, make sure you play it correctly as you can read below.
- Cast earth shock, make sure its empowered by Master of the elements.
- Cast frost Shock if empowered by icefury and Master of the elements.
- Cast Lava Burst.
- Cast frost shock empowered by icefury alone.
- Cast icefury, delay this in case you need the instant cast globals of frost shock for movement.
- Recast totem mastery making sure it does not drop; around 9 seconds is a fair time to recast it.
- Lightning bolt as filler.
- Frost shock if nothing else possible while moving.
About Master of the Elements
Master of the elements makes for quite enjoyable gameplay where you want to empower as many other abilities as possible.
A priority to follow would be:
- Earthquake at 2 targets
- Stormkeeper buffed Lightning bolts
- Earth Shock
- Frost Shock buffed by icefury
- Lightning bolt
To make sure you play this correctly you sometimes want to delay things like stormkeeper.
During this make sure you are not at high maelstrom as this can cause you to overcap maelstrom.
Stormkeeper > Lava burst > Lightning bolt > Icefury > Frost shock > Frost Shock > Lava burst > Earth Shock (to avoid overcapping). While doing this you can wait for a Lava surge proc or simply the next lava burst to come off CD. When you get the next opportunity to Lava Burst you can Lava Burst > Lightning Bolt to get the last empowerment out.
Cleave for elemental is quite simple:
- On +2 targets replace earth shock by earthquake.
- On +3 targets replace Lighting bolt by Chain lightning.
- On 3 targets maintain 3 flame shocks. prioritize Lava Burst.
- On 4+ targets maintain 1 flame shock, prioritise Chain lighting over Lava burst, make sure you use lava burst to go over / are over 60 maelstrom to empower Earthquake with Master of the elements.
- -4s: Precast Stormkeeper
- -3s: Totem Mastery
- -2s: Pre potion
- -2s: Lava burst
- 0s: Flame shock
- 1s: Condense Life force (Guardian of Azeroth)
- 2s: Fire Elemental
- 3s: Lighting bolt
- 4s: Icefury
- 5s: Lava burst
- 6s: Earth Shock
If you get a lava surge proc between the fire elemental and icefury cast you can Lavaburst > lightning bolt instead of icefury and then Lava burst > Earthshock after and cast icefury after the earth shock cast.
How to min-max Icefury
As written in the rotation, Icefury empowered frostshocks are higher priority than Lightning bolt. However, this does not mean you want to spam them all instantly. The duration for the 4 charges is 15 seconds, so you have time to spend them.
You want to empower as many as possible with Mote, but you don’t want to waste any charges.
Make sure that you don’t empower the actual icefury cast itself as the damage portion of this ability is weak.
Over the duration of Icefury keep the stacks relative to the time left to spend them. For example, if you have 4 stacks and 8 seconds left then spend 2 stacks, so at 6 seconds left you have 2 stacks.
During the duration of Icefury you want to fish for Surge procs to empower multiple. But keep in mind the actual MOTE priority as written above here in the guide.
Make sure you don't over-cap resources when fishing for a surge proc / Lava Burst cast to empower an Earthshock because you empowered a frostshock. Always think ahead. Look at the Lava Burst CD and the actual Maelstrom you already have.
Thinking ahead is required in this rotation. Lava Burst procs / CD vs Maelstrom amount vs Icefury stacks vs Icefury duration vs Movement. The goal is to have no globals lost to movement, empower as many Icefury stacks as possible with mote and to not waste any stacks of Icefury or Maelstrom.
Avoid using Stormkeeper during / before Icefury as it will require you to spend mote buffs on Stormkeeper. The only time this is acceptable is when you know beforehand that the entire Icefury will be spent when not empowered and during movement.
Icefury also doesn’t benefit heavily from Haste or Mastery.
Frostshock gains 0 benefit from mastery and haste only effects it by half. Haste reduces both the Cast time of spells, And the GCD. Since frostshock is an instant this means haste has in some ways half the effect, hence haste is a devalued stat compared to Crit and Vers when playing Icefury.
Icefury is alright to play against 2 targets, but it gets heavy diminishing returns on more targets. Since chaining Lava Burst is stronger than empowering a Frostshock when multiple targets are active you want to just chain Lava Burst. Because of this the value of haste also goes up and Icefury gets further diminished, which is why you DON'T run Icefury on cleave fights.
How to minmax Elementals and Primal Elementals
Earth Elemental: Without Primal, Earth elemental has no use in raids. You CAN precast this at around 6 seconds before combat. It barely does any damage, but it’s something.
Fire elemental: The big minmax here is that when the Fire Elemental is active, every time your Flame Shock ticks for damage it will give you 3 Maelstrom. This means that on fights with multiple targets that are active long enough for Flame Shock to be used, delaying Fire Elemental can result in a single target damage gain. However, still make sure you do not lose uses of the elemental while min-maxing this.
Storm Elemental: This is going to depend on the traits you run with.
0 or 1 Igneous potential trait
If you don’t have any or you only use 1 Igneous Potential trait do the following:
- This means the following, preferably empty your maelstrom bar beforehand.
- Reapply flame Shock beforehand. Although you won't use your surge procs, Flame Shock still does free damage during this window. Applying a full Flame Shock before, means it will run out just at the end.
- As this has a massive ramp up, make sure you cast the Elemental at times with no movement as movement will heavily lower your stack gain and lower overall damage.
Extra Minmax. When playing primal Elementalist there is an extra minmax should be applied. Outside of the increased stats/damage they do, they also get a special active. It’s important to know that with primal only 1 elemental can be active at all times.
Earth Elemental now grants you a big personal in Harden Skin, 10 seconds of 40% damage reduction. Do not precast Earth Elemental for damage anymore, instead save it for scary moments during the fight.
Fire elemental gets Meteor. This is a big single cast that does AoE damage around the target. To minmax this do the following. Are there more targets incoming?
- If yes, delay and cast when they are stacked up!
- If no more targets will join the fight, make sure you track pet casts. Use meteor at the end of a cast of the elemental. This will make sure you do not interrupt a 2 second cast 1.5 seconds in. Increasing the overall casts of the elemental.
The elemental range is higher than the meteor range. If the range is not enough, the elemental will attempt to cast it, but won't be able to, resulting in it interrupt casts and standing basically AFK. Always make sure the elemental is close enough.
Storm Elemental gets Eye of the storm and call Lightning. Eye of the Storm is the only manual ability; call lightning is an auto cast but is still important to understand. Eye of the storm is a channel on the target, dealing heavy damage to him and 6 yards around him. This is an extremely powerful AoE nuke. The big minmax in this is the following:
- Call lightning increases the elemental damage by 300%, make sure this is ALWAYS applied before you cast Eye of the storm.
- The target you want to cast this on should NOT die during the channel. If the target dies mid channel the cast will just end, and the damage will be lost.
- Call lightning uptime will 100% be active for the full duration of the channel. The channel is 8 seconds reduced by haste. Haste doesn’t reduce the amount of ticks, just lowers the time between ticks, Increasing its burst. Weakauras to track the Call Lightning duration are very useful for this exact reason.
A macro will be linked to use all 3 pet abilities on the same keybind in the macro section!