This is a very rough guideline, for more advanced insight into your stats input your current gear into the following spreadsheet:
Haste - For such a mana limited class it seems counter intuitive to have haste as a stat that you stack, however for disc, haste is able to increase your healing per mana substantially. Faster PTW ticks, reduced cooldown on PW:S and the ability to fit more damage spells into any given Atonement window make haste our best stat for raiding as a whole.
Mastery - Increases the percentage of your damage that gets converted into healing of Atonement, it provides zero dps gain.
Crit - The only notable thing about crit for disc is that the absorb Smite puts on the boss can't crit.
Vers - Flat damage / healing increase, doesn’t double dip.
This is the best disc legendary by a considerable margin, you can expect it to contribute between 7-12% of your healing on average, but its real strength lies in how it lets you deliver that healing. Using Velen's Future Sight you can convert disc’s immense raid healing into extremely high single target burst with a fairly short cooldown. A good example would be Star Augur’s Icy Ejection, you don’t know who they’ll be on beforehand and they need heavy healing, with Velen's Future Sight you simply pre-atone essentially random people as normal, pop Velen's Future Sight as they go out and spam damage for the duration.
With proper use this is essentially permanent Atonement on yourself at zero cost, it increases Disciplines survivability a lot and provides a huge amount of self healing.
The Prydaz shield is buffed by our absorb trait, making this a very strong legendary for us.
The choice between Xalan the Feared's Clench and Prydaz, Xavaric's Magnum Opus depends mostly on incoming damage, the more damage you take the better Xalan the Feared's Clench becomes compared to Prydaz, Xavaric's Magnum Opus.
The Pain Suppression reduced cooldown is a nice perk but the real value is the increased Power Word: Shield amounts, for overall hps its numerically inferior to Prydaz, Xavaric's Magnum Opus or Xalan the Feared's Clench, however there are certain damage patterns of situations where as a healer you’re damaged significantly less than others or the increased Power Word: Shield amounts help with extremely heavy single target damage.
Saves a small amount of mana over the fight, even with optimal usage it’s still not quite on the same level as Xalan in terms of output.
Even if you’re unable to proc the effect it’s a very strong stat stick and the movement speed is valuable. On fights where you can reliably proc the effect through dispels or cc that coincide with incoming damage, it has the potential to increase your output massively.
In most raiding scenarios you don’t end up casting Plea a huge amount, it’s the largest stat stick legendary but the effect is fairly weak. You don’t change how often you Plea at all with this legendary, just take it as a passive bonus. The only thing to note is casting Plea at the last second of an Innervate where you wouldn’t be able to fit another Radiance is worth doing with this chest, you can get a few extra ticks of Shadowfiend/PtW doing this.
The best legendary for farming dungeons by a considerable margin, it increases your damage output by a lot. Unfortunately in raids you don’t chaincast damage that a Penance, a few Smites and another Penance wouldn’t just go to overhealing.
Disc has a huge amount of mobility with correct play and good planning, making this effect only useful on fights with very specific movement timing.
Tier 19 set bonuses
- 2 Set - ~0.75% healing increase, worth dropping very few item levels for and generally underwhelming.
- 4 Set - Value depends on the incoming damage profile, generally going to be worth between 3% and 5%.
A full configurable trinket comparison can be found in the stat spreadsheet.
It's very hard to go wrong with mana trinkets, Promises is available to ilevel 875 and is strong enough to compete with mythic Nighthold trinkets. Amalgam's Seventh Spine drops from Blackrook Hold and has massive synergy with disc’s spell usage.
Makes the critical heal effect of your crits hit 5% harder (100 → 205). As the effect doesn’t take any item budget this is the best cloak at any given item level and is worth farming for. You can safely drop 15-20 item ilevels for this effect.
March of the Legion (Set)
Gives all your attacks a chance to deal extra damage against demons. This procs Atonement and on fights against demons can easily amount to a few % free healing, well worth picking up and dropping a few item levels for demon fights.
The reality is this has a very small impact on your gameplay and picking the race you personally like the best is a fine choice. If you are looking to squeeze the absolute maximum out of your priest though, here are the top choices.
Blood Elf = Undead > Panda > Rest
- Undead: The damage from Touch of the Grave converts to Atonement healing. It’s very random but can be anywhere from 1-5% increased healing.
- Blood Elf: Arcane Torrent gives a decent amount of mana back and an aoe interrupt, very useful for a spec that has no other way to interrupt.
- Panda: With the recent 500 intellect food Pandas are now significantly more powerful due to Epicurian
- All other horde racials are roughly the same strength.
Gnome > Panda > Rest
- Gnome: Expansive Mind makes Shield Discipline return more mana.
- Panda: With the recent 500 intellect food pandas are now significantly more powerful due to Epicurean
- All other alliance racials are roughly the same strength.
- Neck: All the options are fine
- Priestess is a good choice if you’re regularly doing below ~600k hps (you can find the exact breakpoint in the speadsheet above).
- The healing difference between Claw and Trained Soldier is fairly minor, and it comes down to the claw providing dps but being rng and Priestess only affecting your healing but being reliable.
- Cloak: Enchant Cloak - Binding of Intellect
- Rings: Enchant Ring - Binding of Haste
You should always use the following consumables to maximize your healing:
- Flask: Flask of the Whispered Pact
- Food: Intellect Feasts / Azshari Salad
- Potion: Potion of Prolonged Power / Ancient Mana potion / Leytorrent
You always want to prepot a Potion of Prolonged Power (Deadly Grace damage is nerfed, specifically for disc) and consume some form of mana pot in the fight. On most fights there are 10 second windows of no or low damage, you should co-ordinate with your healers so you can get the full leytorrent channel off.