My name is Kuriisu. I've been raiding at a high level since early TBC, first joining Method during Nighthold as a Shadow Priest and later switching to my Holy Paladin (Kuripala) for Tomb of Sargeras. After that raid I took a long break from competitive raiding until I finally re-joined Method for The Eternal Palace, currently playing a Shadow Priest.
Shadow Priest Introduction
Shadow Priest was nerfed heavily in 8.2 but luckily the new essence system and our crazy scaling has allowed us to remain a very competitive and desirable spec. We remain kings of sustained cleave and unlike in the past our single target with a proper build is very good as well. Thankfully the same build also happens to be the best for cleave, so we're not in an either-or situation.
Shadow is one of the most uptime reliant spec in the game, leading to heavy variance on each pull depending on which boss mechanics target us. On patchwerk fights or fights with mechanics that do not heavily lower our uptime (think Orgozoa) our damage is very consistent. We also have a lot of utility in the form of Vampiric Embrace, Power Word: Shield and Leap of Faith (aka Life Grip), all of which can be valuable to your raid team.
What has changed
- Auspicious Spirits damage nerfed from 70% to 50%
- Vampiric Touch and Shadow Word: Pain Damage nerfed by 9%
- New Essences System
- The biggest change for Shadow Priest was the addition of 2 major traits.
- Shadow Priest traits are extremely good and also work well with each other.
- This alongside a buff to the trait Whispers of the Damned and secondary stats scaling up makes Shadow Priest the strongest DPS in the game currently.