Night Fae is the default covenant choice as the niya soulbind gives a mastery steroid and %hp buff on a one minute cooldown that synergises extremely well with Demonic Consumption and Wilfreds legendary.
Necrolord is the second best choice and can most easily be summed up as the “buff demonbolt” covenant. Decimating bolt, Power siphon, Sacrificed Souls and Balespiders legendary all synergizes very well together but as of writing this guide it is not enough to make it better than Night Fae.
Kyrian and Venthyr do not currently bring anything exciting to demonology. Will update this section if it changes.
Soulbinds and Conduits
For general use I would recommend these conduits:
- Potency: Borne of Blood is always used. For second potency use Carnivorous Stalkers if Dreadlash is selected or Fel Commando if Demonic Strength is selected. Tyrant’s Soul can be used as second potency in pure single target scenarios.
- Finesse: Fel Celerity and Demonic Momentum
- Endurance: Diabolic Bloodstone and Resolute Barrier
Wilfred's Sigil of Superior Summoning on Wrist or Finger.
This is your go to allround and single target legendary. In a normal scenario with minimal downtime your Demonic Tyrant becomes a roughly 1 minute 5 seconds cooldown, which makes it sync up better with Night Fae’s Soul Rot and Grimoire Felguard (2min cd).
Grim Inquisitor's Dread Calling on Wrist or Neck For Dreadstalker Build.
This legendary greatly buffs your Call Dreadstalkers and performs extremely well in sustained aoe together with Dreadlash and Carnivorous Stalkers.
Forces of the Horned Nightmare on Shoulders or Finger.
This legendary fills a lot of the same purposes as Grim Inquisitors with sustained aoe. Its not a bad legendary but it doesn't do anything that Grim Inquisitors or Wilfreds doesn't do better.
Relic of Demonic Synergy on Helmet or Shoulders.
This is the best legendary if you want to craft 1 legendary for all 3 specs. Its the best affliction legendary and high up on the Destruction charts as well.
I would recommend crafting Wilfred's Sigil of Superior Summoning for raiding and general purpose and Grim Inquisitor's Dread Calling for a dreadlash focused M+ build.
Implosive Potential has some niche uses but I wouldn't recommend spending soul ash on this unless you know what you are doing.
Currently there are a couple of REALLY strong trinkets:
- Soulletting Ruby. This drops from Theater of Pain and can have artificially increased value in a lot of situations by pressing it on a ad/trash mob that has lower health than your other target/targets.
- Sinful Gladiator’s Emblem. This is a PvP on use trinket that gives a flat amount of health. This can be used before your tyrant setup to enable a form for “double on use” to buff your tyrant. This is not a much better trinket than the alternative but it can be used together with another on use trinket such as Ruby to buff every second tyrant (assuming wilfreds is used) by an astronomical amount.
- Sinful Gladiator's Badge of Ferocity. This is another PvP on use trinket that gives a flat amount of intellect on use. Because intellect is only a multiplier to the base value of tyrant damage and not Demonic Consumption it is not taken over Soulletting Ruby in Single target but it is a very strong choice for both single target and cleave and it is easy to obtain.
- Sinful Gladiator's Insignia of Alacrity. This trinket is bought with Conquest points (PvP currency) and is just an all round very solid trinket.
- Cabalists Hymnal. This trinket drops from Sire Denathrius and gives a stacking crit buff every minute. This lines up nicely with tyrant when using Wilfreds legendary.
- Unbound Changeling. This trinket drops from Mists of Tirna Scithe. You can eat secondary stat food to change it into your desired stat. For example if you eat crit food it will change to a crit proc. It is a very good passive trinket, but because it is secondary stat proc instead of passive haste I rank it slightly below the Insignia of Alacrity.