This guide was written by Whispyr and updated for newest 10.2 patch.
Whispyr is a Shadow in the Rogue class discord, Ravenholdt, where he spends a lot of his time helping other rogues push to their limits. He also is a contributor to Simulationcraft, and is a leading theorycrafter for both Assassination and Subtletly. In addition, he also writes the Wowhead guide for Assassination Rogue. If you have any questions, feel free to tag Whispyr in Ravenholdt or send him a message directly on Discord. You can find him playing on his rogue on his stream every now and again, so make sure to tune in!
- Twitch stream: https://www.twitch.tv/whispyrttv
- Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdpGDTwuSqRBdXYnMBF1ayg
- Whispyr’s Discord: https://discord.gg/cK8pQVQyPS
- Discord: whispyr
- Ravenholdt: https://discord.gg/Ravenholdt
What has changed
Common Talent Abbreviations
Below you can find some abbreviations for both the Rogue Class Tree, as well as the Assassination Spec Tree.
For 10.2 Specifically:
Assassination is getting very significant changes going into patch 10.2. Given the size and scope of these changes, I want to point out a lot of the major talents to keep an eye on without over-complicating the section. In no particular order, the new and improved key talents to look at are:
- Sudden Demise. This is a great new talent for mythic+ and open world where you want to do heavy bleed damage
- Indiscriminate Carnage. This is a staple talent for Dragonflight Assassination Rogues, but it got changed into a passive that activates from stealth
- Sanguine Blades. This is another general talent that helps out a ton with bleed damage, especially in AoE where Assassination has an overflow of energy
- Caustic Spatter. Very Similar to Outlaw’s Blade Flurry, Caustic Spatter
- Path of Blood. Alongside other resource changes, this talent allows Assassination Rogues to have a maximum of 300 energy, which is a huge difference in planning out your management
- Crimson Tempest. The instant damage got removed, but there is a new scaling per target hit that helps simplify its usage considerably and cement it as an AoE bleed
- Shadow Dance. Not a new talent, but with the changes in pathing, Shadow Dance has become a much more accessible talent
- Kingsbane. Also not new, but Kingsbane is back and better than ever in combination with the rest of the tree