Spec Specific Azerite Traits
- Test of Might is the best stackable trait for single target and sustained AoE. However, it doesn't work well in most burst AoE situations since you need to spend rage to get the benefit and not be bladestorming.
- Crushing Assault it is very powerful to have 1 of this trait.
- Gathering Storm is very good on burst AoE and bad for single target.
- Lord of War is very good on burst AoE and bad single target.
- Seismic Wave is very bad on single target and very strong on sustained AoE.
- Striking the Anvil is mediocre for single target, but a little better on low target cleave, since you are able to multidot Deep Wounds easier. Almost no benefit in AoE situations.
Azerite traits rotation changes
Test of Might would have you Bladestorm during the Test of Might window instead of during Colossus Smash, since you need to spend rage during Colossus Smash with this trait. The Test of Might buff might also be stronger than the 30% damage from Colossus Smash if you have 3x Test of Might.
Azerite Trait Recommendations
For raiding you need 3x Test of Might to do competitive damage and a lot of the time you will drop item levels to get those traits. Overwhelming Power is very strong for an inner trait, ideally you find Azerite gear with both Test of Might and Overwhelming Power, down below are a few examples of great azerite setups for Arms.
A great setup for m+ would be:
- Greathelm of the Tender or Helm of the Raptor King
- Lockjaw Shoulderplate
- Ashvane Warden’s Cuirass
For raiding you might go:
- Helm of the Raptor King
- Kraken Shell Pauldrons
- Ashvane Warden’s Cuirass
For a setup easier to get (without PvP/residuum) I would go:
- Greathelm of the Tender
- Pauldrons of Fanatical Might
- Dark Passenger’s Breastplate
I would recommend getting access to all the good essences, since they are likely to be used in a range of scenarios.
Memory of Lucid Dreams is usually the best single target essence. Make sure if you play with this essence you always have your last use of the essence in the execute phase.
Condensed Life-Force as a major is very competitive on single target, and it is sometimes your best option depending on kill times and other circumstances.
Essence of the Focusing Iris is great for burst AoE and the minor is one of the best in general.
The Crucible of Flame is average for Arms, both as a major and minor.
Blood of the Enemy is one of the best cleave and AoE essences. Often Arms may go with Essence of Focusing Iris for AoE, but the numbers are really close.
Worldvein Resonance has a weak major effect and a decent minor if your group uses it.
Purification Protocol does good damage in AoE scenarios, but not as much as the other AoE options. It's very weak on single target, making the only likely use of the major when you are in an AoE situation with Aberrations. The minor is a little better, it can be used as a minor in cleave situations without Aberrations.
Vision of Perfection as a major is barely a DPS increase, and the minor is usually very weak.
The Unbound Force is also a weak essence both as a major and as a minor.
The trinket Ashvane’s Razor Coral is incredible for Arms. The way you play it is very simple, just save all the stacks until the execute phase, and use the Crit buff together with your essence for a huge execute phase.